"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared." The Buddha

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

31 days of thanks (12)

Wednesday Nov 12th:
Today I am thankful for my Toyota Corolla and for Target.

After working downtown for all those years I never thought I would say or think how thankful I am for Target. I hated the corporate snobs coming in to eat all dressed alike and I hated that Target was everywhere all mass produced (even though secretely I kinda like Target). I've never like Wal-Mart. Growing up it was the only place to "shop" so I dealt with it like it was, but once I got a taste of Target upon moving to Minneapolis I switched sides and never looked back.

My choice was reaffirmed today, well the past few days actually. Going into Wal-Mart is like walking into another country where I don't speak the language, and I'm not talking about language at all. I've been to the WM here 4 times this week and each time I couldn't find help when I needed it, couldn't find what I needed when I did find some help and walked out each time flustered and frusterated. There were two things on my agenda that I really really needed to get while here: ink for my grandpa's printer and an insulated lunch sack for my milk for the trip home. 4 seperate trips, 3 different WM's and nothing. I had to drive 35 minutes across town to find a Target but man oh man was it worth it! I got in and out in 15 minutes; ink, cooler and a bonus trail mix in my hand. Why oh why did I even waste my time with WM?

The second thing I'm thankful for today is my compact Toyota Corolla. Not only is 'Spence' great on gas, I feel I look way less ridiculous driving down the street with my bass and crappy music turned up way loud. You see, my son HATES the car. He cries and cries unless there is some bass and rap/pop music blasting. I know I look pretty ridiculous driving around in my silver compact, but I bet it doesn't look nearly as ridiculous as it does when I drive around with the music and bass blasting in my grandpa's pearl white Escalade with gold rims. I put on my darkest shades, lean way back and pretend that I don't notice all the looks coming my way... It keeps E happy and my nerves subdued, but seriously folks.. it's pretty ridiculous.

No comments: